Motorcycle bandanas are also referred to as doo-rags. They are commonly used as functional, fashionable, and attractive accessories. Besides safety reasons, bandanas allow motorcyclists to include their favorite designs, logos, or color for fashion or passion.
A bandana is a functional accessory that elevates the fashion of any motorcyclist. Bandanas provide an extract mouth and ear covering; hence the required safety.
They come in different colors and designs, allowing motorcyclists to choose one that complements their taste and preference. You will learn more about bandanas and how you can use them to compliment your outfit when riding a motorbike, apart from helping you stay safe.
Why Do Bikers Wear a Bandana?
A bandana provides skin protection against environmental aggressors, protection from certain elements in the air, and comfort and style. It provides the best alternative for a helmet. When you ride without a helmet, it’s advisable to tie a bandana to protect your head from direct sun and wind.
How to Wear a Bandana for Motorcycle Riding
There are many ways to wear a motorcycle bandana. The following are some of the standard methods used to wear motorcycle bandanas:
1- Making Traditional Tri-Fold
Follow the following steps to tie your bandana under the traditional trifold system:
Fold The Bandana to Make a Triangle
- Lay it on a flat surface such as a table
- Remove wrinkles or bunches by hands or ironing if they are persistent
- Bring two opposite corners of the bandana together to form the triangle
Position the Folded Bandana Directly on Your Forehead
- Make sure your hair is plaited back to a void forming bunches or sticking under the bandana
- Pick up the triangle bandana with its top pint facing upwards.
- Place the flat edge of the base of the bandana on your forehead or against your hairline
Tie Two Ends Together
- Bring the two ends of the bandana together to meet behind your head
- Ensure the edge of the bandana stays above your ears
- When everything is set, tie both ends of the bandana in a square knot
- Do not knot too tight or too loose for security
Tuck The Corner Point of the Motorcycle Bandana
- Tuck the loose ends of the bandana under the knot to prevent it from becoming loose when riding. (Make sure the bandana is flat against your forehead)
- Ensure your smoot stray hair to prevent bunches or sticking.
2- Creating Bandana Headband
Fix Your Hair If It’s Long
- Before wearing a bandana, you must ensure that your hair is fixed according to your preference.
- Adjusting your hair after wearing your bandana may cause it to become loose or be displaced.
Fold It into a Headband
- Put your bandana on a flat surface, such as a table, and spread it
- Fold the bandana after every two-inch increments
- Repeat the above procedure until you form a long bandana strip
Spray the Strip with Your Favorite Hair Spray
- Spraying hairspray on the bandana strips ensures the headband stays in place.
- Lay the strip on a flat surface with the inside surface facing up
- Spray the hair spray from the middle toward both ends
Tie the Headband
- Position the folded bandana strip on or over your hairline (it depends on whether you want your hair to be exposed or not).
- Hold each end of the strip and pull them gently against your hair
- Make a knot behind your head; you can also make a ponytail or roll the knot to cover your forehead
Secure the Headband
- To prevent your bandana from becoming lost, use bobby pins to pin it down
- The bandana can be pointed behind the ears or head
- Do not pin it at the top of your forehead because the pins will be conspicuous
3- Making a Bandana Pirate Fold
Fold One Corner of the Bandana in the Way- Over
- Lay the bandana on a flat surface (ensure there are no wrinkles or bunches)
- Take one corner of the bandana and pull it to the middle
- Fold it in place (ensure the tip reaches two inches before the next opposite corner
Place the Banana Over Your Forehead
- Pick the folded bandana for each corner and place it in the middle of your forehead or hairline.
- The flat edge must sit above the eyebrows.
- Pull the ends of the bandana over the back of your head (the levels must be in line with your ears)
Tie the Bandana Ends to Make a Knot
- After setting the bandana, tie it with a simple square knot.
- Tuck the hanging corners under the square knot
- Smooth the hair to keep the bandana snug
Tips and Precautions for Wearing a Motorcycle Bandana
Always make sure you wear your bandana correctly before you start a ride. Tying or wearing a bandana while rising may lead to road accidents.
- Do not pin the bandana over the forehead.
- Ensure your hair is organized before versing a bandana to prevent wrinkles and bushes.
- Ensure the bandana is tied tight to prevent it from becoming loose
- Please do not keep the bandanas too tight, as they main is uncomfortable
- Do not cover your ears, as it may affect your sense of hearing
The Bottom Line
Wearing a motorcycle bandana is easy. Following the steps described in the article, you can wear your bandana in the best style and fashion. You can wear a motorcycle bandana any time as long as you are riding. A biker can wear motorcycle bandanas for many reasons. For instance, some wear it for fashion or as an alternative to helmets.
Although wearing a motorcycle helmet protects the skulk from injuries caused by flying debris, wearing a bandana might also provide protection. However, the degree of protection is not as that of a helmet; it’s better than someone who rides without wearing a bandana.