Are you a Harley Davidson Twin Cam owner looking for the best oil for your beloved ride? Look no further! In this blog post, we’ll be discussing the importance of using the right type of oil for your Twin Cam engine and some of the potential consequences of using the wrong oil.
As any experienced rider knows, using the correct type of oil is crucial for the overall health and performance of your motorcycle’s engine. The wrong oil can lead to increased friction, reduced lubrication, and ultimately, engine damage. In fact, according to a study by the American Motorcyclist Association, using the incorrect oil can result in a loss of horsepower and torque, as well as reduced fuel efficiency.
But don’t worry, we’re here to help you make the right choice. In this blog post, we’ll be discussing some of the best oil options for your Twin Cam, as well as some key factors to consider when choosing the right oil for your bike. So, let’s get started!
Best Oil For Harley Davidson Twin Cam – Our Top Picks!
There’s no denying the fact that Harley Davidson Twin Cam requires some special care and attention. Finding the best oil for your machine’s engine can be a daunting task, but we’ve got you covered.
Here are our top 7 recommended products
1. Quicksilver Oil For Harley Davidson Twin Cam
- Withstands shear and oxidation better than other fluids
- Additives help stop the corrosion of engine internal parts
- Helps maintain engine integrity in high temperatures.
- Easily start your engine and protect it from the cold instantly.
- This oil has a Viscosity of 10w-40
Quicksilver oil is the best possible option to maintain your bike’s performance. This company has been manufacturing engine oil for Harley Twin Cam for many years now, so they know exactly what kind of oil is best for your engine.
First of all, its protective film strength is an important factor when it comes to keeping your engine running smoothly. It resists shear and oxidation, which can cause your engine to break down over time.
What impressed me most about this product is its additives which are a special blend of detergents, dispersants, and corrosion inhibitors that protect against the corrosion of internal engine components. This is a crucial feature when it comes to maintaining your engine’s longevity.
Moreover, it contains advanced anti-wear substances to help protect your engine from wear and tear, even when it’s exposed to higher temperatures. This means that you can be confident that your engine will stay in top shape, even when you’re out on the road in the summer heat.
We put this oil to the test and were amazed at how easily it lets the engine start, even in freezing temperatures. Not only that, but it ran smoothly throughout the entire ordeal. Considering how cold it was outside, we thought this was incredibly impressive.
A viscosity of 10w-40 is the perfect thickness for an engine lubricant because it’s thick enough to coat the entire engine but not so thick that it drags. You’ll feel like the engine is running smoother than ever before and notice more power.
- Designed to optimize clutch performance, even in wet conditions
- It comes at a reasonable price.
- Not only does it meet, but it also exceeds all major power sports vehicle standards.
- Keeps the engine running clean and free of moisture
- Some customers didn’t see any improvement in fuel economy.
2. Amsoil SAE Oil For Harley Davidson Twin Cam
- Will reduce the wear and tear on your bike’s engine
- Extraordinarily helpful in brutally hot weather conditions.
- Offers extensive pressure protection for your gears and chains
- Have a Viscosity of 20W-50
Amsoil SAE oil is tested and proven to protect your Harley Twin Cam’s engine for up to twice as long as the manufacturer recommends, or one full year. So you have to worry about changing your oil less often which saves you time and money.
By reducing friction, it gives you a smoother ride while also making your engine run more efficiently which as result helps to reduce wear and tear. Too much wear can lead to expensive repairs or even complete engine failure.
Our experts consider its heat-reducing capabilities to be unparalleled and especially crucial for high-performance engines. Overheating often causes extensive and expensive damage to the engine, but it guarantees that your engine will stay cool in any condition.
Furthermore, this oil has an excellent viscosity of 20W-50, meaning it does a great job at lubricating engine parts, which then reduces friction and increases efficiency. By having less friction between moving parts in your engine, you’ll see better power output and fuel economy.
What’s more is that it is manufactured to protect your bike from extreme pressure, keeping your gears and chains in like-new condition. The base stocks and additives work together to create a protective barrier on your engine surfaces, which decreases the amount of deterioration over time. You’ll also find that you consume less oil overall and have fewer deposits built up within your engine–keeping things clean while you ride.
- It protects against rust better than any other product on the market.
- Performs Exceptionally Well in Wet Clutch Engagements
- Have the ability to maintain consistent temperatures in the engine.
- Protects your engine by preventing the formation of acids
- We don’t recommend using this item in areas with temperatures under 40 degrees Fahrenheit because the oil may become too thick to flow properly.
3. Mobil 1 96936 Oil For Harley Davidson Twin Cam
- Has a 20 SAE viscosity rating in cold weather and 50 at normal operating temperatures
- Effective in both a shared engine and an engine with a different lubrication system from the transmission.
- Ideal for hot weather and extended periods of high speeds or idling in traffic.
- Approved from API and dyno-tested to ensure its quality
One study conducted by the Society of Automotive Engineers found that the use of excellent quality oil specifically designed for Harley Davidson Twin Cam engines can reduce wear on the piston rings and cylinders. This helps prolong the life of the engine and keep it running at peak performance.
I recently tried out Mobil 1 oil for my bike, and I was impressed! This oil is ideal for use in both cold weather and at normal operating temperatures, as it has an SAE viscosity rating of 20 and 50 respectively. This means that it can remain effective in extremely cold weather without becoming too thick, as well as retain its potency during regular operation.
You don’t need to worry about your bike during long road trips or in slow, summertime traffic jams when you use this oil because it contains additives like Zinc and Phosphorus, that help keep the engine clean and running smoothly.
We only use the best of the best units, and this one is no exception. It has passed numerous tests to make sure it meets or exceeds what is required for API (The American Petroleum Institute) Service Categories SH, SG/CF, and CD. Not only does it work well in the lab, but it has also been field-trails to provide optimum horsepower and acceleration.
Mobil 1 96936 not only prevents your clutch from slipping but also makes it easier for you to quickly and smoothly shift gears while driving. So whether you’re an experienced driver or a beginner, this oil will give you the peace of mind that your transmission can handle anything.
- Can be used in a wider range of applications than synthetic or hybrid motor oils.
- As it reduces emissions, it can be considered an environmentally friendly option.
- Mobil 1 oil can be used in an area with a temperature range from 90 to 30 °C
- It can burn off quickly if used at high speeds or high RPMs.
4. Red Line Oil For Harley Davidson Twin Cam
- Allows your bike to go longer between drains than other brands.
- Uses ester base stocks as an added layer of protection for your engine parts.
- Withstands high temperatures without losing its quality
- Contains high levels of anti-wear chemicals, such as zinc and phosphorus.
One of the many benefits of Red Line is that you won’t need to change your oil as frequently, which helps extend the life of your engine and makes maintenance much simpler. Too, it’s always reassuring knowing that your bike is running smoothly and efficiently.
We love that it can better protect your engine by using ester base stocks to maintain film strength and ensure correct viscosity. It coats all the motor’s components, creating a barrier between them and any harmful particles that could damage the engine–guaranteeing superior lubrication.
We did some experimenting with this oil and found that it prevents your oil from thinning in hot temperatures. This is an important feature for Harley riders who are often on the road in hot weather and find themselves either riding at a constant speed or idling in traffic.
Additionally, by using this item, which is high in zinc and phosphorus, you can reduce wear on your engine parts and lengthen the lifespan of your Harley. Zinc and phosphorus also help to create less friction between moving parts, meaning that you will have a quieter ride overall.
Red Line Oil enables slippage-free and powerful wet-clutch operation. Its composition of friction reducers and heat mitigators makes for easy gear transitions while also keeping the clutch smooth and more responsive to engage when you pull the lever.
- Approved by the NMMA TC-W3 to ensure it meets the standard for 4-stroke engine oil
- It’s an ideal oil for high-revving motorcycle engines.
- Helps to prevent overheating in the clutch system, which is a common cause of premature wear and failure.
- Adding oil to your engine is easy with this oil bottle’s sleek design and pour spout.
- This oil isn’t very suitable for cold starts.
5. Valvoline VR1 Oil For Harley Davidson Twin Cam
- Ensures engine protection for peak performance
- Works with gas and full or part-alcohol fuels
- Formulated with high levels of zinc and phosphorus
- Expertly crafted blend for maximum horsepower.
Valvoline’s VR1 oil is the perfect solution for Harley Davidson Twin Cam engines because it reduces engine deposits and provides superior detergency, so VR1 keeps your engine running both smoothly and efficiently.
With this oil, you can save on gasoline prices since you can use it with gas or fuels containing alcohol without worrying about damaging the engine.
Furthermore, this unit is high in zinc and phosphorus, which helps to reduce friction and wear on engine components. It is specifically designed to work well with higher-execution Air-Cooled and Water-Cooled engines. It also has excellent thermal stability, meaning that it will help keep your engine running optimally even at high temperatures.
Valvoline VR1 is a carefully crafted mixture of top-notch base oils and cutting-edge additives. It will assist in maintaining optimal engine temperature and providing maximum horsepower and torque. Too, it guards your camshafts against wear and tear so you won’t have to replace them as often.
- Protects the Twin Cam against deterioration for all types of racing, including paved ovals, dirt ovals, and drag races.
- Perfect for an old motorcycle with flat tappets and a shared primary
- The bottle contains 32 Fluid Ounces of oil
- The price is on the higher end.
6. Castrol 03095 Oil For Harley Davidson Twin Cam
- Removes old sludge and protects against new sludge formation in the engine
- Prevent drastic losses in value due to volatility.
- Created from the combination of supercilious base oils and innovative additive technology
- The TriShield mechanism offers unbeatable deposit protection
Castrol is a well-known engine oil producer that not only cleans existing sludge but also prevents new sludge from building up better than other harsh industry standards. This is a very important feature as you know that untreated sludge can cause engines to lose power and eventually die.
I have done a lot of research on different types of engines, and I have found that inflationary pressures can cause volatility burn-off in your engine. However, this oil will help reduce the risk of any damage to your Twin Cam engine caused by those pressures.
You will like that it will prevent your engine from filling up with junk and breaking down. The top-notch base oils and patented additive technology used in this brand give it excellent thermal stability and resistance to oxidation, meaning that your engine won’t be corrupted by the surrounding environment.
What’s more, is that its TriShield technology helps Harley engines maintain their optimal performance and protect against deposits that can cause power loss and poor engine responsiveness. It uses a unique combination of detergents and dispersants to keep deposits from forming on engine parts, and also helps to separate and suspend particles in the oil to reduce the risk of clogging.
- Doesn’t become too thick or break down under high temperatures.
- It has friction so low, that you’ll notice an improvement in your gas mileage.
- Gives you optimal performance and power to last through a 3000 to 3500-mile journey.
- Guarantees a smoother wet-clutch transmission experience.
- It’s not better suited for colder climates.
7. Lucas Oil 10700 Oil For Harley Davidson Twin Cam
- Posses a Viscosity of 20w-50
- Keeps the Twin Cam cooler
- Provides increased longevity for your engine and its components
- It reduces noise and leaks in your Harley engine
Lucas is perfect for use in both cold weather and regular temperatures, as it has an SAE viscosity rating of 20 and 50 respectively. This means that it can stay effective in extremely low temperatures without becoming viscous, as well as retain its power during operation under average circumstances.
You will be glad to know that keeping the oil temperature lower, it decreases the likelihood of engine damage from overheating. This enables you to get more use out of your engine and improves its longevity.
Most people make this purchase because it changes the game by providing longer oil life in comparison to other conventional motor oils. This is an attractive quality for riders who not only want their bike to perform at its best but don’t want to frequently change their oil. Plus, it also lengthens the engine’s lifespan as it reduces stress on internal components.
Furthermore, the bikers on our team observed that Lucas Oil makes their engines run much quieter. Before, most of them said that their engine noise was pretty overwhelming, but now it’s smoother and more gentle. They further added that it feels like the bike is running in the air and the oil has also helped lessen the amount of vibration coming from the engine.
- This racing oil is four times more durable than other oils, whether you’re on the track or the street.
- Exceeds JASO specifications to guarantee optimum quality
- It has reduced resistance/friction
- Lucas also has surpassed industry standards, including API SG / SF / CC / CD, ACEA A3
- Some people might find the scent of this oil unappealing.
Best Oil For Harley Davidson Twin Cam – Buying Guide
It’s important to understand the impact of using the right oil on your motorcycle’s performance and longevity. Using the wrong oil or low-quality oil can lead to decreased performance, increased engine wear, and even engine failure. A study conducted by the Motorcycle Industry Council found that using the wrong oil can reduce an engine’s lifespan by as much as 50%.
Therefore, it’s essential to choose an oil that is specifically designed for use in Harley Davidson Twin Cam engines. The oil should meet or exceed the specifications outlined in the owner’s manual and should be designed for use in high-performance motorcycles.
When choosing the best oil for your Harley Davidson Twin Cam, you should also consider the following qualities:
The base stock is what largely impacts an oil’s performance and shelf-life. Different base stocks provide unequal levels of performance in different situations. For example, a mineral oil base stock works well in traditional engines running at cooler temperatures; plus, it costs less than synthetic oil bases–but it breaks down more easily too. While Synthetic oil bases are more expensive, they offer superior performance, last longer, and can handle higher engine temperatures.
To enhance an oil’s execution, additives are mixed in. These can either improve the oil or protect the engine from harmful buildup. Choose an oil made for your bike that contains the right amount of additives.
Look for oil with additives like dispersants, anti-corrosion agents, and anti-foaming agents to keep your bike’s engine in top condition. Detergents help prevent the buildup of contaminants while dispersants stop oil from settling on the bottom of the engine where it can cause damage. Anti-corrosion agents ward off rust and corrosion and anti-foaming agents maintain the oil’s ability to lubricate.
Viscosity is a measure of how thick or thin the oil is, and it’s critical for the engine’s performance and longevity. Too thick, the oil won’t flow properly and the engine won’t be able to cool itself efficiently. Too thin, and the oil won’t provide enough protection.
The right viscosity helps the engine stay lubricated and protected while providing the right amount of cooling. It’s also important to consider the temperature range you’ll be riding in, as different oils are better suited to different conditions. The Harley Davidson Twin Cam requires a specific viscosity oil- 20W50, or 20-weight oil that behaves like a 50-weight oil at operating temperature.
Wear Scar Diameter:
The wear scar diameter is the measurement of how much material the oil can remove from the metal surfaces of your engine over time. It is a good indication of how well the oil is protecting your engine from wear.
If the wear scar diameter is too high, it means that the oil is not protecting your Twin Cam from deterioration as well as it should, which can lead to costly damage to your engine. On the other hand, if this diameter is too low, it means that the oil is providing too much protection, which can lead to sludge buildup and other issues.
Finding the right balance between protection and wear is essential for keeping your engine running well and extending its lifespan.
Synthetic vs. Conventional Oil:
Synthetic oil and conventional oil both have their benefits, and it’s important to weigh them to make sure you’re getting exactly what your motorcycle needs.
Conventional oil is the most common type of oil and has been around for years. It’s made from crude oil, which means it’s a natural resource. It’s less expensive than synthetic oil and is also a good choice if you’re not planning on putting a lot of miles on your bike.
Synthetic oil is a man-made oil that’s created using chemicals. It offers increased engine performance, improved fuel efficiency, and reduced emissions. It’s also more expensive than conventional oil.
The Harley-Davidson Twin Cam is a powerful and reliable engine that requires the right lubrication to keep it running smoothly and efficiently. By using oil specifically designed for these bikes, you are ensuring that the engine is getting the proper amount of lubrication.
The oil that is not compatible with these motorcycles could lead to premature engine failure, reduced fuel efficiency, and increased emissions, resulting in costly repairs.
Now that you know which oil is best for Harley Davidson twin cam engines, be sure to use it correctly! The right oil will help your bike run smoothly and last longer, but using the wrong oil can cause damage. Avoid taking advice from someone who is not an expert on motorcycles. It’s not worth risking your bike’s health.
The oil you use for your Harley Davidson matters. If money is no object for you, then go with either Amsoil or Mobil. However, if you’re looking for a more affordable option without spending much money, Castrol will be your best bet.
I am David Riedel founder of Bikerwhizz, I’m a technician at Keystone Harley Davidson with more than 10 years of industry experience. I’m here to help you solve motorbike problems, customizations, tweaks, and easy fixes to enjoy your rides more.
Leave a Reply