A 3/4 motorcycle helmet is a popular style of helmet that provides riders with protection and comfort while riding their motorcycle. As the name suggests, this type of helmet covers approximately three-quarters of the rider’s head, leaving the face open for visibility and ventilation.
However, it is crucial to remember that all 3/4 of helmets are not made alike. Opting for a poorly fitted or substandard helmet can pose a risk to your head, making it susceptible to injury if an accident occurs. To ensure your safety while riding, it is imperative to select a top-quality 3/4 motorcycle helmet that adheres to safety standards, providing optimal protection.
Reasons to Choose 3/4 Motorcycle Helmets over Full Face Motorcycle Helmets
There are a few reasons why someone might choose a 3/4 motorcycle helmet over a full-face helmet:
- Greater visibility: 3/4 motorcycle helmets provide better peripheral vision, making it easier to see obstacles or vehicles on the sides.
- More ventilation: They offer more airflow to the head, providing a better option for riding in warmer weather.
- Lightweight and compact: 3/4 helmets are generally lighter and less bulky than full-face helmets, making them easier to transport and store.
- Easier to put on and take off: Since these products do not have a chin bar, they are easier to put on and take off.
- More affordable: They are generally less expensive than full-face helmets, making them a more budget-friendly option for some riders.
Best 3/4 Motorcycle Helmet – Our Top Picks!
We’ve done the research for you and compiled a list of the best 3 4 motorcycle helmets on the market. So sit back, buckle up, and let’s take a closer look at the top-recommended products:
1: Bell Custom 500 Motorcycle Helmet (Editor’s Choice)
Bell Custom 500 is one of the best open-face motorcycle helmets. As an avid motorcyclist myself, I was drawn to this helmet because of its low-profile fiberglass composite shell, which comes in a range of colors and graphics to suit any rider’s taste. What’s more, this shell is both lightweight and durable, meaning that you won’t feel weighed down during long rides, and you’ll be well-protected in the event of an impact.
But the exterior is just the beginning – the interior of this unit is equally impressive. The custom-quilted EPS liner provides exceptional comfort and is easily removable for cleaning. On those hot summer days, you’ll appreciate the liner’s moisture-wicking properties, which help keep your head cool and dry. With five different shell and liner sizes to choose from, you can be sure that you’ll find the perfect fit for your head.
You will like that it comes with a low-profile, five-snap visor that’s both functional and stylish. The visor is easily attachable and removable, and it’s available in a variety of colors and finishes to match your helmet’s design.
And when it comes to ventilation, the Bell doesn’t disappoint. With five ventilation ports strategically placed throughout the helmet, you’ll enjoy ample airflow to keep you cool and comfortable, no matter how hot it gets outside.
But perhaps the most impressive aspect of the Bell Custom 500 is its unwavering commitment to safety. It has undergone a rigorous certification process to ensure that it meets the strict safety standards set by the US Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 218.
This certification is not just a piece of paper, it’s a testament to the helmet’s ability to withstand impact and penetration, as well as its retention system strength and other critical safety parameters.
What We Like
- Fits snugly and feels comfortable once on
- Looks great with tinted or clear visors
- Lasts a long time, even with heavy use
- Improves wind noise and buffeting while riding
- Lightweight and designed for semi-oval heads
- Ideal for riders used to brain buckets and looking for a simple upgrade
- ECE and DOT compliant
What We Don’t Like
- Tight around the cheeks with excessive room front and back
- May require spreading and pulling apart the straps to prevent bending the ears down during wear
2: ILM 726X Motorcycle Helmet (Best in the low budget)
ILM 726X is the best open face motorcycle helmet outfitted with a high-quality chin guard. It can be effortlessly attached or detached from the helmet, permitting riders to adapt it to their liking. When secured, the chin guard provides an extra layer of protection to the rider’s face and chin, shielding them from the harsh elements of the road, such as whipping winds, dust, and debris.
Now let’s talk about the sun shields itself. It’s easily removable thanks to some nifty little clips that you can push in to release it. This is perfect for those times when you want to feel the wind on your face without any obstructions. And when you do want the extra protection of a shield, it’s easy to pop it back on.
A well-ventilated helmet is essential for staying comfortable on long rides, and the ILM 726X definitely delivers in this regard. It has four large vents on the top of the helmet and two on the back. The vents on the top can be opened or closed via a switch, so you can control the amount of airflow depending on the weather conditions.
Moreover, this product is DOT-approved, which means it meets or exceeds all safety standards set forth by the US Department of Transportation. But that’s not all – it is also tested in the ILM laboratory and meets or Exceeds FMVSS-218 to ensure that it’s incredibly safe. You can ride with peace of mind knowing that you’re protected by a high-quality, well-tested helmet.
What We Like
- Comfortable after break-in period
- Provides a safe and secure feeling while wearing
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Convenient quick release buckle
- Ample vents for good airflow in warmer weather
- Functional visor, optional for removal
- Excellent visibility and easy-to-clean lens
- Stable at high speeds, including with peak visor
What We Don’t Like
- No interchangeable lens option available
- Not recommended for night riding without a clear lens
- Not designed for wearing sunglasses with the helmet
- Not suitable for colder weather due to high airflow
3: ILM 205V Half Face Motorcycle Helmet
ILM 205V has high-quality ear flaps that offer an additional layer of safeguarding for your precious ears and provide insulation during harsh weather conditions like chilly winds. What’s more, these ear flaps have the added advantage of reducing noise levels while cruising on your motorcycle.
Besides that, it is outfitted with a removable and replaceable sun visor that protects you from the sun, wind, and rain. Now you easily swap out visors when they become damaged and customize your level of sun protection to match your needs. A scratched or compromised visor can be a major hazard on the road. But with this innovative feature, you can ride with confidence and peace of mind knowing that you have complete control over your helmet’s functionality.
In addition to that, its Quick Release Buckle permits for easy and swift securing of the helmet, without the inconvenience of fiddling with complicated straps or buckles. Plus, it simplifies the process of putting on and taking off the helmet. This is particularly beneficial when the rider is pressed for time or requires immediate adjustment of their helmet.
What’s more, its shell is crafted with Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS), a lightweight, durable, and impact-resistant thermoplastic polymer. The shell is produced using a molding process that guarantees consistent thickness and strength across the entire helmet.
ILM 205V incorporates highly resilient EPS foam that is exclusively engineered to absorb impacts effectively while keeping a sleek design. This characteristic is especially significant to motorcyclists since they are exposed to an increased risk of head injuries due to the high velocities involved and the lack of protective barriers provided by their modes of transport.
What We Like
- Comfortable fit over glasses
- Convenient quick release pull tab
- Easy to adjust and very comfortable
- Built-in sun visor, easily hides away for cleanliness
- Adjustable knob for custom fit
- Suitable for use on property or short rides
- Provides airflow for warmer rides
- Comfortable with no irritation to ears
- Pull-down visor for daytime riding convenience
What We Don’t Like
- Sun visor is not usable if you wear eyeglasses
- View through the visor is distorted/wavy.
4: YEMA YM-627 Open Face Motorcycle Helmet
YEMA YM-627 has integrated sunglass lenses. These are an absolute lifesaver for those sunny days when you’re out on the open road. No more squinting or fumbling with sunglasses that just won’t stay put. The lenses themselves are crystal clear and provide excellent protection against UV rays.
Moving on to the design, this gadget is impressively lightweight. It doesn’t feel like you’re wearing a bulky helmet on your head, which is a huge plus for those longer rides. The helmet also boasts a single shield that can be raised and lowered with ease, even while riding. This thing makes it a breeze to adjust to changing light conditions or to get some extra ventilation when you need it.
Additionally, it possesses a Laser cut foam that creates intricate shapes and patterns that are difficult to achieve with traditional cutting tools. This means that the foam padding can be customized to fit the specific contours of the wearer’s head, providing a snug and comfortable fit.
Now, onto the inner lining pads that are manufactured to maintain proper airflow. This can make a huge difference in keeping you cool and comfortable on hot days. Also, Over time, the inner lining of your helmet can accumulate dirt, sweat, and grime. But fortunately, these linings are designed to be easily removable and washable, making it simple to keep your helmet fresh and clean.
YEMA YM-627 contains a reinforced chin strap to provide added security and protection across the chin and neck area. Further, it tightly holds the helmet in place so that you’ll never have to worry about your helmet flying off during a high-speed ride or sudden stop.
What We Like
- Clear visor with no distortion day and night
- Comfortable and lightweight with quick-release mechanism
- Sun visor blocks sun from forehead, easy to use
- Dark visor provides clear view without obstruction
- Secure fit without feeling flimsy
- Convenient drop-down sun visor with minimal wind noise
- Lighter than traditional motorcycle helmets
- Easy-to-use ratchet-type helmet strap
- Comfortable padding inside helmet
What We Don’t Like
- Limited replacement options for visors
- Some wind noise may be present through the visor
- Lining can be uncomfortable with pressure points and marks on forehead
- Inner sun shield may not easily fit over glasses, but can partially block sun off forehead.
5: Daytona DC1-A Motorcycle Helmet
Daytona DC1-A half face motorcycle helmet comes with a drawstring bag as part of the package. The bag provides a safe and secure place to store the helmet, protecting it from dust and scratches. It also makes it easy to transport the helmet from one place to another, as the bag can be easily slung over the shoulder.
You will like that its outer shell is constructed from a high-quality ABS Plastic material, which is both lightweight and incredibly strong. This ensures that the helmet can withstand a blow in the event of an accident, while simultaneously being comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
One of my favorite features of this item is the quick-release chin strap. It’s easy to use and ensures a secure fit, so you don’t have to worry about your helmet flying off while riding. Aside from that, it saves you time and hassle when putting on and taking off your helmet.
When it comes to the helmet’s interior, you’ll find that it is lined with a soft and comfortable material that helps wick away moisture and keep you cool and dry. The padding is fully removable and washable, which is convenient for those who like to keep their gear clean and fresh.
Daytona DC1-A utilizes nickel plated rolled tubular steel rivets. They are renowned for their robustness and endurance, which makes them a superb option for fastening the helmet’s different parts together. One of their key benefits is their ability to resist corrosion, which is vital for motorcycle helmets since riders frequently encounter harsh weather conditions that can cause metal parts to decay or rust over time.
What We Like
- Retro look and lightweight design
- Includes snap-on visor
- Minimal wind noise, even with a Bluetooth headset
- Easy wire routing and hiding for the headset
- Suitable for assembling vintage-style costumes
- Offers good impact protection
- Snug fit, comfortable after breaking in
- Stable at high speeds, doesn’t raise up
- Provides excellent visibility and blocks wind noise
What We Don’t Like
- Chin straps could be longer
- Clip-on visor may not fit properly
- Visor may have difficulty staying snapped to the helmet
- Limited sound dampening, earplugs may be necessary for noisy bikes.
6: Westt W-002 Motorcycle Helmet
Westt W-002 is now even more impressive with the addition of a high-density EPS buffer liner. This type of liner is designed to provide bikers with both comfort and safety by absorbing impacts during accidents. Moreover, this liner is lightweight, ensuring you can wear it for extended periods without feeling weighed down.
Moreover, this gadget is a reliable choice for riders who prioritize safety. It has passed the DOT FMVSS-218 and ECE 22.05 safety standards, indicating that it has undergone rigorous testing to ensure maximum protection in case of an accident. Meeting these standards gives riders a sense of security and reduces the chances of serious injury.
We have good news for you if you tend to sweat a lot. It has a mesh lining that efficiently wicks away moisture and prevents unpleasant odors from accumulating inside the helmet. In addition, the fact that it is washable and can be easily removed makes it effortless to keep the helmet’s liner clean and hygienic. This, in turn, extends its life while ensuring that it remains comfortable and fresh for a longer period.
Besides that, it has an interchangeable visor that lets you fast and without problems change out the visor on your helmet, depending on the conditions you are riding in. For example, in case you’re riding in bright daylight, you can switch to a tinted visor to lessen glare and improve your visibility. On the other hand, in case you’re driving in overcast or low-light conditions, you can switch to a clear visor to make certain that you have the most visibility.
Westt W-002 is geared up with a quick-launch buckle that may be an easy and efficient manner to snap your helmet in place and zoom off to your next adventure with no hesitation. This buckle is the best solution for bikers who’re constantly at the pass and need to keep away from fumbling with complex straps or clasps when putting on or starting off their helmets.
What We Like
- Comfortable and well-fitting helmet
- Removable ear protection for customization
- Effective visor with good visibility
- Highly effective quick release chin strap
- Wind resistance at high speeds, protecting the eyes
- Secure and comfortable for long rides
- Suitable for summer riding with open-face design
- Effective windscreen to keep bugs and dirt out
What We Don’t Like
- Lower durability and protection compared to higher-end helmets
- Thinner shell compared to other helmets
- Ear flap padding may come unclipped easily
7: TORC T50 3 4 Motorcycle Helmet
TORC T50 is the best open face motorcycle helmet. First off, it comes in around 23 different color options to choose from, so you’re sure to find one that fits your unique style. And if you’re worried about getting the perfect fit, fear not – this helmet is available in two different shell sizes, ranging from extra small to double XL, optimizing that fit and keeping it nice and low profile.
One of the coolest features of the T50 is the “retro-inspired” ultra-suede interior lining. This lining is both comfortable and moisture-wicking, which means you won’t get all sweaty and gross during those long rides. Plus, the lining is removable and washable, so you can keep your helmet fresh and clean.
Furthermore, it features a sun visor that’s built into the helmet itself. This visor can be flipped up or down depending on the lighting conditions, so you won’t have to constantly switch between different visors or sunglasses. In addition, it can be easily attached or removed based on the individual’s preference.
TORC T50 boasts an impressive ABS shell to provide top-notch protection to the user’s head in case of an accident. But that’s not all, the ABS material is resistant to scratches and dents, which helps to maintain the helmet’s appearance over time.
What We Like
- Shield for added comfort and noise reduction
- Lightweight and comfortable with a good fit
- Retro style with a DOT safety rating
- Snug fit provides a sense of security, suitable for larger heads
- No headaches or blurred vision after an accident
- Flip down shield available for added wind protection
- Extra ear coverage for additional protection
- Suitable for wearing glasses while riding
- Reduces noise during commute
- Good padding, shell size, and ride height
What We Don’t Like
- May be challenging to put on for some riders
- Chin strap with D rings can be difficult to use with gloves
- Chin strap material is thin and too long
Buying the Best 3 4 Motorcycle Helmet: A Quick Guide
If you crave the feel of the open road and need a helmet that protects you while maintaining freedom, a 3/4 motorcycle helmet is for you. Here’s what to look for:
Don’t risk your life; ensure your helmet has DOT/SNELL/ECE and FMVSS certifications. These certifications guarantee your helmet has passed rigorous safety tests, including impact and vision assessments.
Helmet Shell Materials:
Shell materials matter a lot. Typically, helmets are made of polycarbonate, fiberglass, or carbon fiber. Polycarbonate is sturdy but heavier, while fiberglass and carbon fiber provide strength with less weight. Fiberglass and carbon fiber helmets are lighter, more comfortable, and quieter than polycarbonate, but they’re usually pricier. Your choice depends on your budget, preference, and usage.
Sun Visor and Face Shield:
Always look for retractable sun visors and face shields. They protect your eyes and face from sunlight, wind, and debris, reducing eye strain, skin damage, and wind noise.
Bluetooth Communication Systems:
Having Bluetooth can be a game-changer. It makes group rides safer and more fun by enabling real-time communication about road conditions and directions. Plus, you can enjoy music on the go.
Removable Inner Lining:
Choose a helmet with a removable liner for better hygiene, comfort, and durability. You can wash it regularly to prevent odors and replace it when worn out. Moisture-wicking fabric or memory foam are popular choices for liners, keeping your head cool and providing a custom fit.
To wrap it up, all helmets we reviewed have their own strengths and are outstanding choices for any motorcyclist. However, the one that stands out above the rest is the Bell Custom 500. It boasts a low-profile fiberglass composite shell and custom-quilted EPS liner, making it both stylish and safe. It meets the safety standards set by the DOT and FMVSS)218, ensuring your protection on the road.
On the other hand, for those who are more budget-conscious, the ILM 726X is a great option as well. It comes equipped with a high-quality chin guard, a removable sun shield, and four large vents on the top, as well as two on the back, so you can enjoy a comfortable and breezy ride.